Daily Masses October 1 – 2 – 3, 2019

The Catholic Community of South Pittsburgh WILL FOLLOW the normal daily mass schedule on Tuesday, October 1st, Wednesday, October 2nd and Thursday October 3rd.

The current Sunday bulletin reports that the schedule for those days will change due to the multi-day priest convocation. This has been re-evaluated — the schedule WILL NOT change.

With the implantation of the On Mission for The Church Alive! initiative the parish grouping of Holy Angels Parish, Holy Apostles Parish and Saint Sylvester Parish was established by the Diocese of Pittsburgh on October 15, 2018. The parish grouping is part of the South Pittsburgh Deanery within the Diocese of Pittsburgh. We call our parish group “The Catholic Community of South Pittsburgh”.

The intent of this website to help you understand how our community grouping works, prays and interacts within the parishes and within the community. Our intent is for it to provide you with information about the parishes, various parish ministries and services; and to serve as an invitation to others to become more active in the parish grouping.

Holy Angels Parish

History of Holy Angel Parish
Holy Angels Parish is a small Roman Catholic Church nestled in the Borough of Hays, between the South Side of Pittsburgh and West Mifflin. Holy Angels Parish officially began in the Diocese of Pittsburgh on January 11, 1903, and was dedicated under the patronage of St. Michael the Archangel. Father Thomas Devlin, Pastor of Holy Cross in South Side, offered the first Mass in the rectory.

On April 9, 1903, Father David H. Hegarty was appointed the first Pastor of Holy Angels Parish.

Soon after, construction of the church began partially funded by the parishioners with fund raising events. The church “family” of 100 worked very hard to build and furbish the church. Holy Angels Church was dedicated on Sunday, October 25, 1903.

Holy Angels School was completed and opened on September 10, 1906. Arrangements were made with the Sisters of Charity from Seton Hill to teach in the new school. The first residence of the Sisters was in the 400 block of Mifflin Road and later at 520 Baldwin Road. The convent was completed in 1910.

The original church was constructed on a locust post foundation, and it was noted that the church was gradually sinking and it was decided to raise the church. The men of the parish did much of the labor. Concrete blocks were used and the chief supports were steel beams acquired from the recently demolished Gimbels Department Store in Pittsburgh. A concrete floor was poured and a hall constructed beneath the church. A carnival was held and raised $500 to support costs.

In September 1922, The Sisters of Charity from Seton Hill were recalled. In 1928, the pastor made arrangements for The Vincentian Sisters of Charity to teach at Holy Angels School.  The parish had now grown to such an extent that it became difficult for one priest to adequately care for all its needs. On July 26, 1928, the first Assistant Pastor of Holy Angels parish was appointed.

In 1955 the rectory burned and a new parish house was built and dedicated in 1956. Another fire occurred in the rectory in 1965 and the Pastor, Father Dennis Doran, perished due to smoke inhalation.

In 1968, land was purchased to build a new church, school, convent and rectory. After much study and with guidance from the Diocese, it was determined that the relocation of the parish would be to costly, and the Parish Council made the decision to repair and refurbish the existing church building. The church as refurbished during the 1970’s.

Eventually, due to lack of enrollment, Saint Michael School closed its doors and the students were transferred to Saint Albert the Great School.

With the implantation of the On Mission for The Church Alive! initiative the parish grouping of Holy Angels Parish, Holy Apostles Parish and Saint Sylvester Parish was established by the Diocese of Pittsburgh on October 15, 2018.

Holy Apostles Parish

Holy Apostles Parish
Holy Apostles Parish, established September 1, 2016, serves the Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Carrick, Baldwin and Overbrook. The parish has four neighborhood church locations: Saint Albert the Great, Saint Basil, Saint Norbert and Saint Wendelin. Previously, the four churches belonged to individual parishes and was known as the Catholic Community of South Pittsburgh. The new Holy Apostles Parish is part of the South Pittsburgh Deanery within the Diocese of Pittsburgh.

Significance of Holy Apostle Parish Name
An Apostle is defined as “a person sent by another; one sent forth; a messenger.” The twelve apostles that Jesus chose accompanied Him through His life, witnessed His good works and miracles, and listened to His preaching.

After Jesus’ ascension, they proclaimed His life, death, and resurrection. Jesus entrusted these twelve men with spreading His Gospel and leading and organizing His Church. As followers of Christ, we are His messengers and are responsible for continuing the work of the Holy Apostles in carrying forth the message of the Gospel.

The History of Holy Apostles Parish
The Saint Wendelin Parish was founded in 1873 to provide a place for residents of the Carrick area to worship. The church that presently exists was dedicated in 1897.

Saint Basil Parish was created in 1907 to accommodate the growing population of the area. The original church building was used until 1922, when construction of the current church building began. It was dedicated in 1923.

Saint Norbert Parish was established in 1914 for residents of the Fairhaven area who were travelling distances to worship at other parishes. The original building was a combination church/school building. The present Saint Norbert church was dedicated in 1958.

Saint Albert the Great Parish was established in 1956. The original church was a combination church and school building and was completed in 1958. It was considered temporary, but the building that exists today was not built and dedicated until 1991.

In 2014, Bishop Zubik pronounced that the four parishes would be consolidated under one pastor, Reverend Stephen A. Kresak. Each parish continued to be administered individually, but ministries, masses, groups, and activities began to be combined under the temporary name, Catholic Communities of South Pittsburgh.

In early 2016, neighboring Saint John Vianney parish closed its doors and many of its parishioners joined the combined Catholic Community of South Pittsburgh.

In May of 2016, Father Kresak petitioned the bishop to approve a merger of Saint Basil, Saint Albert the Great, St Norbert, and Saint Wendelin parishes. Approval was granted and on September 1, 2016, the four merged parishes became Holy Apostles Parish, with the four individual churches remaining open as worship sites.

With the implantation of the On Mission for The Church Alive! initiative the parish grouping of Holy Angels Parish, Holy Apostles Parish and Saint Sylvester Parish was established by the Diocese of Pittsburgh on October 15, 2018.

Saint Sylvester Parish

The History of Saint Sylvester Parish
In July 1924, a letter of petition was drafted to establish a place of worship for the Brentwood area. Up to this time the area had ninety Catholic families and they belonged to Saint Wendelin Parish. On November 27, 1924, a frame church was completed and dedicated. This building served as a Mission Church of Saint Wendelin Parish through 1927 when Saint Sylvester Parish was established.

After a parish census in 1931, the small country parish had grown and doubled its population. Plans were developed to consider a combination church-school building.

In 1948 the original frame church was converted to a convent for the Sisters of Divine Providence who would staff the school.

In September 1949, children in grades 1-3 were received. With the growth of Saint Sylvester, many organizations had begun. With the building boom after World War II, a new building became imperative and plans were drawn. The census at that point showed 1,089 families in Saint Sylvester Parish.

In September 1956, the cornerstone for the new church was laid.

In February 1957 a new school addition was dedicated which added five classrooms, with space for a gym, library and offices.

In February 1957 Bishop Deardon had Mass and consecrated the new altar.

With the implantation of the On Mission for The Church Alive! initiative the parish grouping of Holy Angels Parish, Holy Apostles Parish and Saint Sylvester Parish was established by the Diocese of Pittsburgh on October 15, 2018.